![]() |
| Dolphin Researh Center, Grass Key |
![]() |
| Lobster, pepper, onion and cheese omelette @ The Stuffed Pig, Marathon |
Tra i mille piatti previsti per la colazione, scelgo un'omelette con aragosta, peperoni, cipolle e formaggio. Scelta con un suo peso, me ne rendo conto, ma non ho resistito. Il locale dà proprio sulla strada, dalla quale svolti e parcheggi davanti al giardinetto interno. Ad accoglierti, un'atmosfera serena e cordiale, sotto un grazioso pergolato. Il mio voto? 10 e lode.
![]() |
| Behind my room at Sombrero Resort, Marathon |
Sbrigate le formalità (e presentandomi come blogger 'senza portafoglio'), ho avuto il piacere di visitare il centro con la responsabile dei rapporti con i media. Il che, certamente, ha dato un valore aggiunto all'esperienza.
Qui è dove ha avuto casa Flipper. Sì, dico proprio il delfino del film da cui è stata tratta la nota serie tv che ha emozionato me e penso tanti altri (i maschietti si ricorderanno bene Jessica Alba). A dire il vero, non era 'un' delfino, ma 5 differenti delfini, ognuno con la propria 'specializzazione' attoriale, tutti con casa qui.
![]() |
| Dolphin Research Center, Grass Key |
Qui si portano avanti ricerche sui delfini, sulla loro intelligenza, sulla loro capacità di relazionarsi con noi. Oltre alla ricerca vera e propria, ad ogni modo, c'è spazio anche per il gioco. Il 'gioco', a quanto mi è stato spiegato, consiste anche nell'incontrare i visitatori. "Noi li invitiamo a giocare", mi dice Mary, "e loro decidono spontaneamente di farlo, si avvicinano e stabiliscono una relazione con i visitatori che scendono in acqua". "Ci sono giorni", aggiunge, "in cui non rispondono e va bene così, è una loro scelta". Qui hanno casa 27 delfini e 4 leoni marini che, mi spiega Mary, non riuscirebbero a sopravvivere in mare aperto.
![]() |
| Dolphin Research Center, Grass Key |
Era ipnotico. Tanto ipnotico che è stata proprio Mary a ricordarmi che stavo facendo tardi per lo snorkeling. Lascio controvoglia il centro, non senza, ovviamente, essermi informata sulle varie forme di partecipazione possibili in futuro (organizzano anche soggiorni di una settimana per vivere da vicino il contatto con questi straordinari animali). E mi spingo subito verso nord, alla volta del John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, a Key Largo, la terza barriera corallina più estesa al mondo, l'unica degli Stati Uniti.
![]() |
| Dolphin Research Center, Grass Key |
Con me c'erano 3-4 altri turisti e un gruppo che, se non vado errata, erano proprio Hare Krishna. Codino per gli uomini, maglietta e pantaloncini per le donne... anche in acqua! Mentre rabbrividivo all'idea che queste ragazze stessero con gli abiti fradici addosso per tutta la via del ritorno, eravamo arrivati. Al centro informazioni mi avevano detto che la meta specifica era a discrezione del capitano, così, appena salita a bordo, avevo chiesto se per caso ci fosse la possibilità di andare nel punto dove c'è il Christ of the Deep. Mi avevano risposto: "È una delle possibilità". E, sempre che cu..., siamo andati proprio lì.
![]() |
| Dolphin Research Center, Grass Key |
La statua era lì, in fondo, immobile e scura. Coperta di vita marina e circondata da pesci colorati... e dalle meduse. Guardandomi sempre intorno, sono rimasta qualche minuto a contemparla, scendendo in apnea per vederla da vicino, osservandone la posa, quelle braccia tese verso il pelo dell'acqua, e quel senso di 'assoluto' e di 'gloria' che riusciva, vuoi o non vuoi, a trasmettere. Poi, ragazzi, le meduse erano diventate veramente troppe, allora zigzagando ho provato a tornare indietro, ma senza successo. E sapete allora che ho fatto? Non mi sono fatta troppe remore: arrivata alla barca più vicina, ho chiesto di montare sopra e mi sono intrattenuta un po' con loro, aspettando che la corrente cambiasse.
![]() |
| Dolphin Research Center, Grass Key |
Ribadisco quanto detto nel precedente post: non è una barriera corallina particolarmente ricca. Ma è sempre bello nuotare in mezzo a queste creature colorate e insolite, giocando a rincorrerle o aspettando in superficie pazienti, ossevandone i movimenti.
![]() |
| On the road in Florida Keys |
Sempre sulla via verso nord, sempre a Key Largo, c'è la Conch House. Ho trovato il mio posto in un tavolo sulla veranda, con alla sinistra il bosco e alla destra la strada che si intravedeva tra gli alberi. Da bere una Florida Cracker, una birra artigianale stile Belgian white Ale prodotta a Tampa, sempre in Florida. E da mangiare un piatto da urlo con conchiglia fritta (la 'conch' che è poi il simbolo delle Keys, descrittami dalla cameriera come: "Quella con cui ascolti il mare, una specie di serpente acquatico"), ceviche di aragosta e conchiglia, polpettine di conchiglia, gamberi fritti col cocco e tortino di granchio. Ogni cosa, che ve lo dico a fare, con la sua salsetta abbinata (col granchio una mostarda al mango).
![]() |
| John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo |
Per vedere tutte le foto: 30litri facebook page
Note per i viaggiatori:
- The Stuffed Pig: 3520 Overseas Highway, Marathon, FL 33050 - www.thestuffedpig.com (colazioni da $8,50 in su)
- Dolphins Research Center: 58901 Overseas Highway, Grass Key, FL 33050 - www.dolphins.org (ingresso $28)
- John Pennekamp State Park: 102601 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037 - pennekamppark.com (ingresso $6,18; snorkeling $29,95; affitto maschera e pinne $4; acquisto boccaglio $5; n.b. a queste ultime tre cose vanno aggiunte le tasse, nel caso specifico $3,07)
- Conch House: 100211 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037 - keylargoconchhouse.com (piatti principali da $12 in su)
>>english version<<
![]() |
| Snorkeling in John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo |
It's a reality. In the Florida Keys, I was in my element. Left my room in Marathon (which by the way, seen in day time, was in a really nice place), I went toward the first urgency: breakfast. And I found a terrific place. A 5-minute driving from Sombrero Resort, going back to the south, there is The Stuffed Pig, an oasis for gourmands people.
Among the thousands of meals available for breakfast, I choose a lobster, peppers, onions and cheese omelette. A 'heavy' choice, I know, but I could not resist. You see the restaurant from the road, then you can turn and park in front of the inner garden. A calm and friendly atmosphere welcomes you, under a charming pergola. The mark in my opinion? A+.
![]() |
| The statue of the Crist of the Deep is under the water, near the boats in distance. John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo |
After the formalities (and introducing me as a blogger 'without portfolio'), I had the pleasure of visiting the center with the media relations manager. And, of course, this added value to my experience.
Here Flipper had his home. Yes, I do mean the dolphin of the film. After it, they made the famous TV series that has thrilled me and I think many other people (the boys will remember well Jessica Alba). Actually, it was not 'a' dolphin, but 5 different dolphins, each with its own actor 'specialization', all of them lived right here.
![]() |
| John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo |
Here they do research on dolphins, on their intelligence and their ability to enter in relation with us. However, there is also time for playing. A 'game', as Mary explained to me, is also when they meet visitors. "We invite them to play", she says, "and they spontaneously decide to do so, going close and establishing a relationship with the visitors who enter the water". "It could happen that they don't want to play", she adds, "and that's okay, it's their free choice". Here there are 27 dolphins and 4 sea lions, Mary explains to me, that couldn't survive in the open sea.
![]() |
| John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo |
It was hypnotic. So hypnotic that Mary had to remind me that I was getting late for snorkeling. Reluctantly I leave the center, but not before, of course, asking about the possibility that you have to partecipate in the future (they also organize week stays to live in close contact with these amazing animals). So, I go immediately to the north, toward the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, in Key Largo, that is the third largest coral reef in the world, the only one in US.
Paid the admission, I enter in the reserve and what a a... hem, I mean what a luck, there was still some tickets for snorkeling (actually, when I called in the morning, they told me that it was sold out, so I booked a trip with the glass-bottom boat). Made the change immediately, I rent the equipment and I go to the boat.
![]() |
| In the parking area of John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo |
They had warned us before embarking: "There is the 'moon jellyfish alert'". I thought about the experience of the first day and I said to myself: "After all I can do it". Like hell. There was a myriad of jellyfish. A myriad of pink jellyfish near the water surface. They were so many that, in some areas, you did not really know where to pass. But, before entering the water, I had asked the crew to explain me where was the statue and I wanted to go there at any cost. And so I did. Some stretch under the surface in apnoea, to overcome that obstacles that were the jellyfish, some slalom, and there I was.
![]() |
| Conch House, Key Largo |
The man who was driving the boat (after having confessed that, noted me, he had asked himself why the hell I was swimming so zigzag, changing direction suddenly) explained to me that you could use Vaseline to avoid contact with jellyfish... it would have been better for me to have known it before. However, they were very kind and they took me to my boat. Greeted my saviors, I dived, I got on my boat and I entered the water again on the other side. Around that area, the jellyfish were sparser and then I enjoyed the last minutes there wandering around the reef.
![]() |
| Conch fritters, lobster and conch ceviche, cracked conch, coconut shrimp and mango crab cake @ Conch House, Key Largo |
Back to the ground, I spent a few minutes to contemplate the bay, watching the colors that were changing as the evening advanced. And then, I do not deny, I looked for a nice place where I could have dinner. And, sincerly. I found a really exquisite restaurant, where I think I ate some of the best food of the whole trip.
Always on the way to the north, always in Key Largo, there is the Conch House. I choosed a table on the porch, with the forest on my left and the view of the road through the trees on my right. As a drink, I had a Florida Cracker, a Belgian-style white ale handcrafted in Tampa, FL. And in my dish there were conch fritters (that 'conch' that is the symbol of the Keys, described by the waitress as: "That one in which you can hear the sea, it's like a water snake"), lobster and conch ceviche, cracked conch, coconut shrimp and mango crab cake. Everything, of course, with its own sauce (mango mostard with the crab cake).
![]() |
| My Florida Cracker @ Conch House, Key Largo |
To see all the photos: 30litri facebook page
Notes for travelers:
- The Stuffed Pig: 3520 Overseas Highway, Marathon, FL 33050 - www.thestuffedpig.com (breakfast from $ 8.50)
- Dolphins Research Center: 58901 Overseas Highway, Grass Key, FL 33050 - www.dolphins.org (ticket $ 28)
- John Pennekamp State Park: 102601 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037 - pennekamppark.com (admission $ 6.18; snorkeling $ 29.95; mask and flipper rent $ 4; snorkel bought $ 5; and, at the last three things you must add taxes, in this case $ 3.07)
- Conch House: 100211 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037 - keylargoconchhouse.com (main courses from $ 12)


















Nessun commento:
Posta un commento